Saturday, April 23, 2011

Most Intriguing Characters on TV at the Moment: April 2011


It's a list, I know - deal with it. It's only a small list and it has been very helpful with my procrastination.


Feel free to rebut.

Castiel (Misha Collins)
Supernatural




As much as I love Dean, and I do love Dean, there is just something about this beautiful holy tax-accountant that intrigues the heaven out of me. He's fighting for control of heaven even though he'd much rather be on earth hanging out with the Winchester boys. He has been severely under utilised this season, but he still manages to light up the screen every time he appears. He also has some of the best one liners of the program, most of which would not be nearly as funny if it wasn't for Misha Collin's fantastically deadpan portrayal. Don't get me wrong, I want Castiel to win the angel war as much as the next guy but I have to admit I wish Chuck, I mean God would return and take control so that Cas can spend more time on earth making oogly eyes at Dean.




Kurt Hummel (Chris Colfer)
Glee

It's official, Chris Colfer is the cutest person that ever existed, Time Magazine even thinks so. There is no doubt that Chris is amazing and I cannot wait to see where his talent takes him but it's his character on Glee, Kurt, that is destined to go down in TV history. Kurt's gay, if this is surprise to you then you need to get out more. He loves fashion, musicals and sings like a girl, he's basically a walking talking billboard for gay. In short he's a bit of stereotype, and he's copped a lot of flack for it but you know what stereotypes are based in some kind of truth and they don't have to be a bad thing. Kurt's effeminacy should not be seen as a negative attribute, I am so sick of network TV's need to 'break with stereotypes' by making all teenage gay characters uber masculine. Kurt may be a tad camp, but he is still one of the strongest characters on television. The best part is that now he's got a boyfriend and I can't wait to see them get their mac on every week.

Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill)
Doctor Who


The Doctor is awesome, we all know that. He's a got a bow tie and a spaceship that can travel anywhere in time and space, who could possibly resist. So there is something to say for the guy who is willing to compete with him. I always had a soft spot for the people left in the wake of the doctor, especially Mickey, the steady, normal guy who did not stand a chance against the Doctor. When Rory was first introduced in The Eleventh Hour, I assumed he would suffer the same fate but this boy turns persistence into an art form so much so that by the end of series 5 he was my favourite character. The guy was ditched for the Doctor, killed... twice, erased from existence and turned into a plastic copy but he still manages to be there for his tempestuous fiance, Amy. If any guy deserved the girl, it's this one. I also have a soft spot for sweet funny guys who can put up with crazy commitment fearing girls like me.



Jessica Hamby (Deborah Ann Woll)

True Blood

She didn't ask to be turned into a vampire but she'll be damned if she isn't going to make the most of it. Vampire's are in, there's no fighting it, but there is a serious shortage of female vamps to balance the abundance of love-starved lotharios that populate our screens. Jessica stands out from the rest, not only is she dealing with the fact that she's a vampire but she manages to maintain a relationship with a human without nearly as much complaining as her male counterparts. It also happens to be one of the sweetest, not to mention healthiest, relationships on TV at the moment. Unfortunately in True Blood land this means that the shit is about to hit the fan, but whatever happens I will be witness, on the edge of my seat with my eyes glued to the screen.



Enjoy or don't whatever.

xxx