Tuesday, October 25, 2011

“Lives ruined, bloodshed”: Top 10 Epic Romances on the Small Screen - Part 3



It's taken me a while to post this final part – and that is mainly because I am lazy but partly because I have actually been writing my novel, which may or may not never be finished. Excuses I know but for those two people that have been waiting to find out who will take out the top position in my list of Epic TV Romances – wait no more because the answer is finally here. As usual if you don't agree with me you can just suck it because this is my blog and what I say goes – or you can comment, that would be cool too.

Don't forget to check out Part 1 and Part 2 before you read this epic conclusion. 



Without further ado... here are the top 2 Epic Romances on the small screen.


Number 2: Sam Winchester and Dean Winchester – Supernatural
Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles


You should have guessed that this family romance would make it into this list somewhere... I can't help it, I'm obsessed but that doesn't mean I am not right. These boys love each other – watch the show and try to deny it. Even better find out for yourself – try to harm either one of these boys and the other one will hunt you down an punish you in ways you can't even imagine.

First things first – I am not talking about sex! While I respect every fangirls right to slash whoever they want, I'm personally not down with the whole incest thing (if you want to think of it as sexual – go for your life). But just because I don't think these boys are going to be announcing their engagement any time soon doesn't make their platonic romance anything less than epic. I have already talked about sacrifice and Sam and Dean are basically the kings of this trope. I am not really worried about them dying because the other one will just sacrifice himself to get them back. It's not really what you would call healthy but it certainly makes for quite a journey.


Sam and Dean Winchester are the definition of codependent but you can't really blame them because they are literally all they have. Papa Winchester was a deadbeat and Mama Winchester got roasted so the only thing they have left to hold on to is each other – and they hold on pretty tight. Dean probably holds on a bit tighter, but that doesn't mean Sam doesn't love him. They spend literally every moment with each other and they haven't even killed each other yet... lots of other things have, and the beat each other up a fair bit but if I had to spend ALL my time with my sister I would not let anyone but me kill her.

All jokes aside, Sam and Dean's relationship is how I measure love. It might be a bit fucked up (and they are about to hit another road block) but no matter what they are there for each other. Even if you took away all the ghosts, demons and apocalypse this relationship would still be one of the most epic love stories on the television.


Number 1: Logan Echolls and Veronica Mars – Veronica Mars
Portrayed by Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring


They are responsible for the title quote of this article, so you know they had to be on here somewhere... And to be honest they were always my number one. Whenever I think about Epic Romances on TV, I think about Logan and Veronica. For a non supernatural program it's amazing how much trouble these two got into – and with the way the program ended I really don't know how long either of them will survive, but no matter what their LoVe will always be Epic.

In case you haven't noticed I kind of associate epic with difficult, because if it's easy then it's not epic and these two fit that bill completely. So much chemistry. I mean they have that fabulous fighting tension that I love so much, by which I mean they spend most of their time yelling at each other because if they stopped yelling they would have to admit how much they really care. And they care a lot – which is a big deal for the both of them because they don't often care, at least not completely.

This couple is issuelicious, Veronica can't trust anyone and Logan can't let himself be happy so naturally their relationship is a constant fight. Only the thing that's keeping them apart is their own ridiculous over reactions and boy is it fun to watch. Ok so maybe I need to get a new definition of fun but despite the depression Logan and Veronica will certainly keep you interested.


Basically she's just your average teenage detective and he's the damaged kid of a Hollywood star, oh and there is the small matter of her best friend's (who also happened to be his ex-girlfriend) murder. Romance is clearly the logical conclusion here... sarcasm of course. They hate eat other, and not in a cute way and there romance literally comes out of nowhere but you know what that's one of the best parts. I did not know I wanted these two to be together until they actually kissed. From that moment on I was hooked on their roller-coaster until the very end.

The show got cancelled so some people might say we will never know the fate of this damaged couple... but all I need to do is watch the way they look at each other in the show's final moments to know that it was ALWAYS Veronica and Logan.



Well there you have it... was it what you expected? Or did I get it completely wrong? If you made it all the way to the end of all three blogs only to be sorely disappointed then I am very sorry but I think I did pretty well – within the specifications. Because remember these are not the best relationships or the most loving, this is all about epic and epic is hard, horrible and usually ends badly. I promise my next post will be a happy one... maybe. 

xx