Saturday, July 2, 2011

A fangirl outburst dedicated to Harry Potter – and plans for more to come...




Guess what... It all ends on July 15. By that I mean the final Harry Potter film is being released, which means that one of the most important parts of my childhood is coming to an end. Find out why this means so much to me and what I am going to do to pay tribute...



I can't even begin to describe how much Harry Potter means to me, sure most people like the books and pretty much everyone has seen the movies but to me these characters are my friends. I was not able to read well when I was young (Dyslexia – isn't it strange that dyslexia is such a difficult word to spell?) and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was the first book I read from start to finish all by myself. I can proudly say that I was into Harry Potter before Harry Potter was cool. I distinctly remember trying to get all my friends to read the book, they were not at all interested in reading a book about a boy wizard. I felt like slapping them when several of them tried to recommend the books to me a few years later.

I kind of have to thank my little sister for my early discovery of this book. She was the one who picked it out of the Scholastic catalogue, but she always had a way of picking trends before they happen – I often use her as a gage for what the masses will like.

Anyway, the point is that if I had never read Harry Potter I never would have fallen in love with reading, I wouldn't have worked as hard to get better at it and I would not be writing this now. If I wasn't interested in books why would I want to be a writer.

When I finished the final book I cried for about nine hours and thats not even an exaggeration, I just couldn't believe it had actually finished. But we still had the movies, so even if I don't think they are the best interpretation of the books – I have written my own scripts to prove it could have been done better – they kept the magic alive for a little while longer. When the credits roll on the final film I think I will just stop existing, my purpose in life having been fulfilled. Do not knock my fan girls emotions, just because you cannot understand them does not mean they are not real.


Don't worry, I'm pretty sure I will survive the loss, but it will definitely be a close call. I do not envy the person that has to make me leave the cinema.

There's a point to this, I promise – the release of the film every year prompts an important event on my calender: my annual Harry Potter re reading. By this I mean I re read all seven books. Some people think it's pointless to reread books, but it's one of my favourite things to do. It's like visiting friends and reminiscing and these books do not lose any of their magic on further study.

I thought I might not be able to do it this year because I don't have my books with me in England, but a lovely friend has sent me an electric copy so all was well. Seeing as I have been writing this pop culture blog pretty regularly, and my mum at least is reading it, I figured I would write a blog on each of the books as I read them.

  • There will also be a special blog to describe my experiences while fangirling the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 premiere in London. Stay tuned for hilarity.

I do not know quite what will come of this – but it should be an interesting experience... for me.

I would be suggesting that you read the books yourself in a “What Should You Read” kind of way but if you have not read these books then hang your head in shame and leave immediately... get in the car or on the bus or train or some kind of travel device (broomstick maybe) go to the next town, then the one after that (you do not want anyone else you know to find out you have never read them) – go to a bookstore of your choice and purchase these books. Then lock yourself in a well lit room and settling in for the long haul because your life is about to get way more awesome.


I'm sorry if that was rude, I do that sometimes... I'm working on it. You don't have to do that, you can buy the books online if you wish.

So that was a bit of a fangirl overload, I promise the rest of the Harry Potter themed blogs will be much less wanky. Or at lease I hope so (please do not hold me accountable for any further wank you might encounter on this blog).

Look out for my thoughts and analysis of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.



Love you like spells and potions. xxx