Well guys there isn’t really much to talk about this week, it’s not like anything happened… oh right there was that one thing where Teen Wolf Season 3 premiered and I died. Okay so maybe I didn’t die but I feel like this is kind of situation that requires exaggeration for dramatic effect because TEEN WOLF IS BACK! But just because the show has returned doesn’t mean the Internet fandom has stopped so let’s talk about what happened this week in the world of Teen Wolf.
It’s been a long hiatus but it’s finally happened. Teen Wolf is back in our lives and it was almost as awesome as I wanted it to be. Here’s the thing though, I hyped it up so much that there was no way it was every going to live up to my lofty expectations… but you know what it came pretty damn close.
The best bits: everything Lydia did (she was amazing) especially Lydia and Allison’s friendship. The parents of Beacon Hills: The Sheriff, Melissa and Chris Argent were all on top form. Comic relief Stiles was back (and he faints at the sight of needles). The new and improved Scott (before it all falls to pieces)! Deucalion is blind and he looks like he’s going to make a fantastic big bad but Kali is my favourite Alpha. Derek grabbed Stiles… and it was awesome. And then there was Derek’s dramatic entrance! Also Derek’s jeans.
The worst bits: The dodgy effects driven opening (you tried). The Alpha Twins… I need them to be more than a gimmick. They killed The Girl (she was awesome). There was a bit too much going on – lots of storylines and new characters. It was a bit hard to focus sometimes. Scott might be the hero of a prophecy drive quest and will defeat Deucalion because destiny (please don’t let this be a thing, you’re better than that Teen Wolf).
But don’t take my word for it, check out what the rest of the Internet had to say as well. The Atlantic Wire thought it was a bit too self-aware. TVEquals loved it especially the new and improved Scott and Derek. TVFanatic thought they did the best with what the Season 2 final left them. If you’re after a recap then HelloTailor’s is pretty awesome and hethicorn’s is hilarious. And of course if you can read always my review and recap, also if you’re a sucker for punishment you can watch me shout about it here:
Other Bits and Pieces:
- Tyler Hoechlin was interviewed by Entertainment Inquirer it’s pretty much stock standard answers, but check it out here if you’re interested (he’s pushing the romance angle again). Still not enough Hoechlin well then check out this interview at TodayOnline.
- Tyler Posey was interviewed for Collider.com where he talks moving to LA, romance (or lack there of) and instant feedback from social media. Also Interviewed by Collider.com was Daniel Sharman (check it out here).
- More Tyler Posey you say? Well check him out on Good Day LA here. He also talked to The Hollywood Reporter and you can watch it here. And a Cambio interview here.
- The biggest Posey news of the week is that he will be guest starring on The Exes. Check out a pic from the set here.
- Proving that MTV is 100 times better at this fandom thing than other networks they showcased a bunch of fan created merchandise. You can check out their style tips here.
- Keahu Kahuanui spoke to Asians On Film – there are a few Danny insights (plus he’s just really nice to look at)! Watch it here.
- The ever-lovely Crystal Reed was spotting all over the place on Monday with the winners of the Teen Wolf Party contest both in person and via Skype.
- MYSCENETV caught up with Dylan O’Brien to talk about Teen Wolf Season 3 as well as The Internship and The Maze Runner. It’s actually a really cute interview, well worth a watch if you’ve got some free time.
- Speaking of Dylan O’Brien have you ever wanted to see him in a strip club well then check out this clip from The Internship. Oh and here’s another interview with MuchMusic.
- If you want to know more about my favourite new character, Alpha Kali, then check out this interview with Felisha Terrell.
- A lovely Tumblr user called perseused has written a detailed list of everything we have heard about wolfs bane in Teen Wolf so far. It’s well worth a look for those you working on theories about the mysterious plant. (UPDATE: apparently this meta was submitted to perseused anonymously, I don't know who wrote it but it's great and can still be found at that link).
- Natalie and Karen are back with a brand new Not Another Teen Wolf Podcast all about Monday’s premiere, you can find out more here.
- Before the premiere Jeff Davis took over the Teen Wolf Tumblr one more time. Read my recap of the event here.
- If you haven’t had enough of Jeff Davis yet then head over to TheBacklot.com where he talks to Jim Halterman about gay love scenes and pushing the envelope (noticeably absent from the conversation… Sterek). Read it here. Jeff also teased Season 3 in this interview at TVFanatic.com.
- Teen Wolf made the Advocate.com’s top 10 entertainment highlights on their gaydar this week. Check it out here.
- They have released a short synopsis of 303 “Fireflies”: “Boyd and Cora are under the influence of the full
moon; Scott and Derek seek help from a unlikely ally.” (
Can we guess that Cora is the girl holding Boyds hand yet?)
- The Teen Wolf Tumblr will be featuring a gif artist on-air during the episodes. This week was Qhuinn.
- Finally don’t forget to check out this seriously fantastic fanmade magazine called Neckz n’ Throats. You can read it here. This fandom is amazing.
Spoilers: The Dreaded Love Triangle!
Crystal Reed teased the possibility of a romance between Allison and Isaac in an interview with HollywoodLife.com and it has forced me to think about something I have been trying to ignore. I can’t say I hate the idea of Allison and Isaac together romantically, actually I think it works because they are both so broken (also they both love Scott but don’t think they are good enough for him). What I don’t want is for it to turn into a teen romance love triangle to rival The Vampire Diaries.
One of the things I love about Teen Wolf is that it has avoided falling into this trap so here’s hoping doesn’t fail me now. I’m not really that worried though because the stuff they’re pushing now is probably not all that significant. They are just trying to distract us so we don’t realize what’s really going on. What do you guys think? Do you like the idea of a love triangle?
An Open Letter To… Ian Bohen
It wouldn’t be fandom without some drama and this week’s comes from none other than sassy uncle Peter himself, Ian Bohen. I’m not going to go into the whole drama (you can read about it here). Basically Ian wrote a poorly worded tweet that upset people – with reason – then he wrote a blog responding to the wrong issue, which just made things worse. It is for this reason that Ian is recipient of this week’s open letter.
Look dude I understand what you were trying to say, and I actually agree with a lot of what you said in your blog… although it was fairly condescending but I know how tempting it can be to turn on the sarcastic bitch within when people misinterpret things you say over the Internet. Here’s the deal though, you’re wrong.
Like I said, I actually agree with the argument you made in your blog about the negative connotations of feminine terms and traits but the problem was not simply with your use of the term “lady”. The problem was that you insinuated that the way women act can cause rape. That’s not cool. What you’re doing there is victim blaming and I think we can both agree with that victim blaming is not good.
Rape culture – a large part of which is victim blaming – is a very real problem (especially for women) so try to understand why we would be upset that someone we like and respect basically suggested that it’s our fault if we get raped. I know that’s not what you meant but it’s not about intention. You’re in a position of power and there are A LOT of people listening to you so what you say matters.
I get it, nobody’s perfect and this was mostly a big misunderstanding but you kind of made things worse by writing a very thought-out, kind of sassy, intelligent blog that addressed the wrong issue. So it’s probably best to not… Just admit you were wrong (make no mistake regardless of your intentions what you said was wrong) and be done with it. Okay?
Best of luck,
P.S. your use of language is like porn to me.
Now that that’s done let’s talk about something much nicer like the fact that Teen Wolf blew up the rating. Because Teen Wolf received it’s highest ratings ever! They captured a 2.3 Nielsen rating (that’s good guys) and it was the #1 original cable series for that day! So if you think you’re the only one watching Teen Wolf you are wrong, apparently everyone’s watching it.
UPDATE: Erica is back!
Kudos to the TWPD for keeping this one quiet... it's only now that we realise they never said anything about Gage's departure (it was all from other sources). Well played Teen Wolf, well played. Of course considering the way they treated Erica last season (and the fact that she has not been spotted on set) I'd say they have brought her back to kill her, but I'm holding out hope for something more.
So what did you guys think of the premiere? Did it live up to your expectations? Do you like the new characters? Am I totally wrong about the Alpha twins?